The Current State of Friesland reported in 1786:
"This village used to be located near the sea and it was then probably inhabited by fishermen who could easily reach the sea through Wierzijl and the fishermen could bring the fish through Ried to Franeker and elsewhere. In our days the beautiful Lauta State (estate) was here, consisting of a lovely mansion and heavy tower, surrounded by deep ditches and a large garden”.
Wier is a terp village that possibly came into existence at the beginneing of the Christian era. The first inhabitants were fishermen and farmers who – by means of Wierster Zijl en Bakzijl – could easily reach the Middle Sea. It used to be a small village and it has always remained that way.
In sources from the 13th century Wier was written as “Weer”. From 1505 there was a new spelling and it became “Wyer”.
At a map from 1718 in the Scholtanus-Atlas you can see that Wier was located in a kind of pie in the far north of the municipality of Menameradiel. It was situated between Ried, the Old lake and the Middle Sea Dyke.
Under the influence of monks from the area dykes from Leeuwarden via Beetgum and Berlikum to Wier were built around the year 1000.
In the second half of the 12th century the wood of the Church in Wier was replaced by stone. Due to the silting up of the Middle Sea people mostly lived an agriculatural life. Many gerniers ( small farmers) leased plots of lands from the church or Grietenij ( community).
In 1192 the Lauta Stins was built by Schelta Lauta. This grietman was – among others – responsible for the jurisdiction in Wier.
Between 1350 and 1500 there was a civil war in Friesland, a battle between the “Schieringers” and the “Vetkopers”. Wier did not really suffer from it much because it was just located outside the most important route, Leeuwarden – Berlikum – Franeker.
In 1634 the Lauta Stins was replaced by new estate. From that moment onwards, it was called Lauta State and it belonged to one of the most beautiful Frisian Estates.
Unfortunately, the last resident, Horatius Hiddema van Knijff, saw it go up in flames during a tenant rise in 1748 because he was suspected to collaborate with the French enemy and to have anti- orange ideas.
The site of the Lauta State is still clearly visible and on the Lautawei you can find more information by means of an information board.
In those days Wier had 87 inhabitants and a new crop was coming up, namely, the potatoes. This resulted in work for a lot people and they earned a decent income. Wier was expanding and had 174 inhabitants in 1815.
The church was restorated many times in those years and in 1842 a new organ, built by P.J. Radersma van Wieuwerd, was consecrated.
In 1874 the new primary school was open for its 55 pupils and its headmaster Tjalling Bakker. Until 1934 pupils were taught at this school.
In 1881 the old saddle roof tower of the church was replaced by the current tower with spire. 340 people lived in Wier at that time. Then the argricultural crisis came, it forced many people to start a new life elsewhere, for instance, in the USA.
The first tram from Leeuwarden arrived in Wier, at Mooie Paal, in 1899 and the last tram drove at the first of May in 1966..
In 1943 the “Krite Wier”, a member of the Selskip Fryske Tael and Skriftekenisse , was founded. The interest in cultural and literary evenings reduced and in 1952 it was decided to start a village organsiation, called, “de Doarpsrounte”.
In 1946 the astronomical clock, made by Fred Bruijn, was handed over to the inhabitants of Wier as a sign of gratitude for the hospitality he received during the period he was hiding from the German soldiers in WWII. You can find a lot more about het history of this village and how the clock works on this website.
The church and the astronomical clock both were restored in 2011-2012.